Monday, November 7, 2011

Troy Maxson


I have chosen Michael Clarke Duncan for the role of Troy Maxson, with his massive stature, hand and winning smile, I thought he would fit the part very well.  Troy is large and tall almost scary, with what could be described as "the weight of world on his shoulders".  He is a hard working and loyal trash collector and is set on taking care of his family and making sure that he can provide for them everything, they need.  He has a loud voice and commands to be the center of attraction.  He is not much of a drinker, but when he does drink, he can be vulgar at times especially with his wife (Rose), but that’s just for show.  "See this woman, Bono?  I love this woman.  I love this woman so much it hurts.  I love her so much. . . I done run out of ways of loving her.  So I got to go back to basics.  Don't you come by my house Monday morning talking about time to go to work. . . 'cause I'm still gonna be stroking!"  His relationship with both of his sons is hard, only because he wants them to be better than he was growing up.  He is a protagonist, not quite a hero without the tragedy.  His heroism comes from doing right by his family working, and having a meal on the table every night as well as paying the bills on time.  His tragedy comes from him not being able to fulfill his dream of becoming a baseball player and tearing apart not only his sons’ dreams but his wife’s as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment